An Alternative Vision for Sarawak
5 Mar 2010
This post is also available in: Iban
BN Ministers have started announcing bribes and handouts to communities, which they normally exploit and ignore. This, as everyone knows, is a sure sign an election is about to be called. Everyone also knows that BN will break the promises they are making and after years of this cynical treatment the people are fed up.
“if only the people can dare to hope, then the power of change is in their hands. They can save their future and the future of their children, but they must have the courage to act. They must vote out their oppressors at the coming election and they must not succumb to petty bribes. We in the opposition are not offering just a few ringits the night before the election, instead we are offering rich rewards after the election to those who have given us their trust.”
Baru Bian, Sarawak’s top native rights lawyer, explained the measures that he will bring through immediately to reform Sarawak for its people. His key pledges are to:
- End corruption and bring back honest government
- Give back land taken illegally from native people
- Fight for a fair share of Sarawak’s oil revenues
- Save Sarawak’s environment by ending logging of virgin forest and oil palm
- Stop the dam programme and the displacement of people from their lands.
- Kick-start rural development with roads, water and electricity a priority
- Improve schools and medical care in the rural areas
“This is my priority 8-point plan explained Baru Bian, but it is just the starting point for a new, fairer Sarawak where there will be chances for everyone to succeed and to live the lifestyle of their choice”