Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar says there is no conflict of interest with regard to his daughter’s firearms business.
The Inspector-General of Police said his daughter had already started the business before he was appointed the country’s top cop.
“They got their business licence before I became IGP,” he said at a press conference after presenting a lecture at Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia in Bangi on Monday.
Khalid said that he had also forbidden his daughter from applying for government or police contracts.
“If there had been any tenders given to them through me, Sarawak Report would have reported it by now.
“So I don’t think there is any special treatment or conflict of interest,” he said.
On claims by portal that the conflict interest was in the awarding of gun licences, Khalid said it was he did not wish to jeopardise an investigation by commenting.
“I’m sure there will be an investigation so I do not want to jeopardise it by commenting further,” he said.
Online portal Sarawak Report had reported that Khalid’s second daughter, Juwiza Khalid, 32, was the biggest shareholder in Nilai Arms & Ammunitions (NAA).
It added that Khalid’s brother-in-law Mohd Isa Husin, 59, was also an owner of the business.
The Register of Companies shows that Khalid established his company flogging guns through his daughter and brother in law in June 2012.
He became IGP less than a year later, so when did he get the nod on the job?
Even if he had merely suspected he might get this top job, it was clearly not an appropriate business for an already top policeman to be engaged in and once he had been confirmed in the appointment, which gave him sole charge over issuing permits, he should then have instructed his daughter to dispose of the business.
The fact that he claims he had “forbidden” his daughter to apply for police contracts makes it perfectly plain who was in charge of the affair. He seems to feel self-sacrficing in having denied his own company the opportunity to apply for police contracts, but not to see anything wrong with exploiting his position in this less public way.
Without a doubt any police officer in a country of good governance would have stepped down over this. At least he is accepting there will be an investigation into the affair. Najib will appoint Apandi to ‘throughly investigate’ and ‘clear’ him
If troubled 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) defaults on its US$1 billion loan from Abu Dhabi’s IPIC, that could trigger cross defaults on the fund’s other debts, including some bonds, according to the fund’s president and group executive director Arul Kanda Kandasamy.
Though 1MDB has declared just four days ago that it is free of all its bank and short-term debts, it still has a RM5 billion sukuk with a government guarantee, another RM2.4 billion Bandar Malaysia sukuk, a RM800 million loan from the Social Security Organisation or Socso in short, and in his words, “the one that everyone is worried about”, a US$3 billion bond the fund issued in 2013 to fund the Tun Razak Exchange development.
In an exclusive interview with The Edge Malaysia, published in the weekly’s cover story for the week of April 25-May 1, a clearly frustrated Arul told the publication…..what could happen next now with IPIC’s declaration of default against 1MDB…
There is one crucial item on the term sheet, which is that 1MDB has to transfer the amount that IPIC paid, the cash plus the interests — US$1.15 billion — by Dec 31, 2015, according to Arul. As such, he said: “actually, we were in default since December”. But he questioned why IPIC waited until now to make the announcement.
“It should have been made immediately after the default as it’s a large amount. Why wait until April to say you don’t own Aabar BVI?”
As to the US$3.5 billion worth of payments that 1MDB made to Aabar BVI (Aabar Investments PJS Ltd), the company with the near identical name to IPIC’s subsidiary Aabar Investments PJS, Arul said: “What we cannot discount is there could actually be fraud…a massive fraud…and maybe there was collaboration from our side”.
He also spoke about wanting to quit 1MDB, and how the issues at the fund was not his and “not what I signed up for”. “I’m very tired. I’m doing over and above what I had signed up to do.”
So, after over a year of presiding over the most humungous cover-up of the most humungous scandal, Arul Kanda appears to be planning to depart – on the brink of what he suggests will be a massive cross default by the fund he managed, triggering untold damage to the Malaysian economy.
His remarks to The Edge, boil down to a single admission, which is “OK I acknowledge the game is up – actually we should have paid that US$1.15 billion way back in December!”
Therefore, he reckons, this is the right moment to down tools and walk off. He is tired, explains Kanda. It didn’t turn out to be the job he thought he had signed up to.
After a year of trenchant denials and counter-accusations, he also accepts there “could have been” a massive, multi-billion dollar fraud after all (but, we note, no apologies to Sarawak Report and others).
What’s more, he even concedes, “maybe there was collaboration” in this fraud from within 1MDB itself…… it really is time for you to run, Shahrol Halmi, the world can see the red dot in the centre of your forehead.
Meanwhile, Arul Kanda plainly thinks that he can simply walk away from his year of lies and deception at 1MDB and leave Malaysia to pick up the financial pieces.
Doubtless he has already negotiated a swanky severance fee with his beleaguered boss, Najib Razak, and is at this very moment packing his Louis Vuittons.
On the other hand, returning to Abu Dhabi may not be the option it once was.
Anyone in Malaysia has an equal opportunity to run a business as long as it is in accordance and within the boundary of the country’s law and regulations.
This was Deputy Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Noor Rashid Ibrahim’s response to a Sarawak Report article yesterday which linked an arms-selling company to Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar.
Noor Rashid was met after he officiated the graduation ceremony of the Inspector cadet basic course series 3/2015 at the Police Training Centre (Pulapol).
The article claimed that Khalid’s second daughter Juwiza Khalid, 32, and his brother-in-law Mohd Isa Husin, 59, are the owners of Nilai Arms & Ammunitions (NAA), with Juwiza being the biggest shareholder.
“What’s more important,” Noor Rashid said, “is that any job or business must be according to the law. Anyone’s children have a right and fair opportunity, and they too must adhere to the law.”
Asked whether police will investigate Sarawak Report on the article, Noor Rashid said police will go over the content of the article before deciding on the next course of action.
Terrifyingly, it seems that Malaysia’s most senior cops don’t understand the difference between right and wrong.
In particular, the concepts of ‘abuse of a position of public trust’ and ‘conflict of interest’ appear to be outside of their mental capacity.
The IGP has a trusted role, in that only he can sign off a fire arms permit, which he is paid to do only in the public interest. However, he has set up a company, which stands to profit every time he signs a permit. A ten year old would understand the conflict and abuse of trust involved.
Which is why, one assumes, he has hidden this enterprise under his daughter’s name. No one seriously believes that the IGP’s 20 something year old daughter invested in a major arms and ammunition business. If indeed she had, a dutiful policeman Dad would have explained the problem to her in the context of his job (and queried where she had found the money).
Nevertheless, it seems this IGP is content to hide behind his own daughter’s skirts in this affair and threaten to ‘investigate’ Sarawak Report to boot!
So, not a gentleman either, plainly.
The federal government has promised more allocations to develop Sarawak if incumbent Chief Minister Adenan Satem wins big in the coming state election.
“With his good relationship with the federal government, the prime minister and myself as well, I will try my best to help facilitate (more) allocations to build Sarawak.
“This is if he (Adenan) wins big in the state election – more than a two-thirds majority,” said Deputy Prime Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.
Zahid made the promise when he addressed more than 500 people at the meet-the-leader-people session in Balingian, a state seat of Mukah today.
The world has started watching Malaysia and this straight bribery from the Federal Government’s deputy leader in favour of the de facto UMNO boss in Sarawak will confirm how bad corruption has become in this country.
Zahid plainly does not realise how shocking and criminal such statements appear to most of the world.
Certainly, he disqualifies himself also in the eyes of Malaysians as a suitable successor to Najib, who only promoted him because he was willing to support his own criminal behaviour.
Rather than send money to Aabar, however, the 1MDB fund ended up transferring $3.5 billion to a different company with a name nearly identical to Aabar’s, according to the report by Malaysia’s parliamentary committee.
Some of that money in turn was transferred, via intermediaries, to a shell company called Tanore Finance Corp., registered in the British Virgin Islands, investigators in two countries believe.
The beneficial owner of Tanore when it was first set up was Tan Kim Loong, a young Malaysian business associate of Mr. Low’s, according to people familiar with the matter. Attempts to reach Mr. Tan were unsuccessful.
Global investigators believe it was from Tanore that $681 million was transferred to Malaysian Prime Minister Najib’s accounts at AmBank in March 2013, according to the people familiar with the investigations.
The piece of new information in this long article was that the beneficial owner of Tanore Finance Corporation, a company set up by Aabar’s Falcon Bank in October 2012, was Tan Kim Loong, whom a “person familiar with the matter” had informed WSJ was an associate of Jho Low.
Perhaps that person familiar with the matter had assumed that WSJ would themselves be familiar with the fact that they were referring to the Chinese name of none other than the famed ERIC TAN?!
Did WSJ fail to spot the significance of this name?
As SR has pointed out in previous articles, Eric Tan was a key fixer for Jho Low and is currently under investigation by the Singapore authorities. In particular he organised with suspended Singapore banker Yak Yew Chee for US$20 million dollars to be wired by a Jho Low company Acme Time to PetroSaudi’s Tarek Obaid.
This means that the same fixer, who channelled millions from Jho Low to Tarek Obaid, who was linked to 1MDB through the PetroSaudi deal, was the man who incorporated Tanore Finance Corporation and gave it an account at Aabar’s very own Falcon Bank, which was linked to 1MDB via a different Abu Dhabi deal.
What a mighty bloody coincidence – given that Najib is still swearing that this money had come from a Saudi Royal figure!
Did WSJ miss the full significance of its own scoop? Looks like it!
The federal and Sarawak governments must be in the same ‘gang’ to ensure continued development for the state, said Prime Minister Mohd Najib Abdul Razak.
As such, he said, he was working hard to help his ‘gang member’ Sarawak Chief Minister Adenan Satem to win the 11th Sarawak state election on May 7.
Najib was speaking at the launch of the 76.2km Simpang Bitangor-Sg Kua alignment of Sarawak Pan Borneo Highway Project near the Durin Bridge, Sibu today.
He urged the people in the state not to be fooled by the ‘Sarawak Dream’ of the opposition as it was merely propaganda.
Never was a truer word said. Najib is the head gangster and Adenan is a signed up member and no one in Sarawak should forget it.
The Pan Borneo Highway is an excellent example of this, since these two gangsters have given a great chunk of the profits to their henchman Bustari Yusof, who has filched a secretive role as intermediary over all the contracts.
Bustari is the money-bags for their party PBB
Gangsterism is a major problem for the people in Sarawak, who are terrorised by thugs engaged in land grabs, timber grabs and plantation grabs, so Najib could not have chosen a more insensitive analogy – even if it was an entirely accurate representation of his political party.
Following the Saudi government’s latest statement on the RM2.6 billion donation issue, Attorney-General Mohamad Apandi Ali has declared that there is no need for further investigation.
Mingguan Malaysia quoted Apandi as saying he is “relieved” by the reported confirmation by Saudi foreign minister Adel Al-Jubeir, that the donation deposited into Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak’s personal account, indeed came from Saudi Arabia.
“For me the issue is settled (even though) there were calls for further probes, but I don’t feel that it is necessary.
“This is because there is already a statement from the donor, so what is there left to be investigated,” he was quoted as telling the weekend edition of Utusan Malaysia.
Al-Jubeir had reportedly told Malaysian reporters in Istanbul on Friday that the Saudi government is aware of the donation and it is a genuine donation with nothing expected in return
The Saudi Foreign Minister cannot be enjoying this farce.
He did not say the money came from Saudi Arabia in this statement nor any of the other things he is being represented as having said.
Meanwhile Apandi treats him as Malaysia’s colonial master. The Saudi Minister ‘said’ it was OK, so we accept his judgement and waive all our own independent due processes and judgement!
Najib is acting like a mad pirate, who has got hold of the wheel, careering a once reasonably stately and sober ship of state through rapids and waterfalls, all to escape justice for his personal misdeeds.
He and his wife are willing to destroy all the structures of law and order and all the checks and balances, just to to protect themselves from the consequences of crime.
And managing all their phoney media, such as this deliberate staging and then misrepresentation of a Saudi Minister, is a money-grabbing UK national, who is willing to join the tribe of foreign facilitators living like hyenas off all this corruption.
Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Azalina Othman Said hopes the people are getting clearer on the 1MDB issue and will not be deceived by quarters who want to topple the prime minister.
She said the statement of Saudi Arabian Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir yesterday that the donation to Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak came from the country, showed what had been spun by the opposition and the Mahathir’s declaration group were not true.
Azalina said earlier many disputed the statement of attorney-general Mohamed Apandi Ali that the donation came from Saudi Arabia and not from 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB).
The Saudi Foreign Minister was pressed to issue a retraction to his earlier statement that he thought there may have been an investment, but certainly no donation, in an interview staged by the Malaysian government.
His statement lasted less than 5 seconds with the Malaysian Foreign Minister at his side.
The ‘clarification’ however did not specify that the money came from Saudi Arabia or indeed anything at all, The minister merely said he had now been made “aware” (by Malaysia) that this was a donation.
So why does Azalina say that he said the ‘donation’ came from Saudi Arabia?
There is a clear source for this multi-billion donation – i.e. the missing billions, which 1MDB’s CEO had earlier in the day FINALLY acknowledged was defrauded from the company!
In a media statement this evening titled, ‘You can’t be 80% pregnant, Pua’, 1MDB urged the PAC member to “switch off the political rhetoric”.
“Shockingly, having signed off without reservation on the PAC report, he is now seeking to backpedal and question the contents of the report, saying he is only 80 percent satisfied.
“1MDB has provided to the National Audit Department all documents in its possession. It has also explained to the department why other documents could not be procured.
“Pua knows this and yet persists with his recycled ranting,” it added.
1MDB pointed out that the consensus report is a comprehensive and conclusive document.
Apart from this, the firm noted that PAC has asked the relevant enforcement agencies to further investigate certain matters.
“Pua now needs to respect the collective will of the PAC, switch off the political rhetoric and allow the lawful authorities to do their job,” it said.
What is shocking is the brass neck of these 1MDB brigands, whose Board has just resigned in shame over their activities.
The PAC recommended their former CEO be investigated by the police and remonstrated that the present management have refused to show the company’s bank statements (concerning borrowed public money, unfortunately guaranteed by the taxpayer) to either them or the Auditor General.
Who are these shamed and proven liars to take Tony Pua to task in a vulgar fashion for “recycled ranting”?
People like the managers at 1MDB are the sort who tell themselves that they are “untouchable” and that “change can never happen”, by which they mean that the thieves in charge can never be brought to book.
A study of history would have told them (as plainly they are ignorant) that the opposite is the case.