Communication and Multimedia Minister Salleh Said Keruak has cited a March 30 report in the South China Morning Post(SCMP) as a prime example of fake news.
The article was titled “Why are foreign leaders snubbing Najib ahead of Malaysia’s election?”
Salleh quoted the newspaper as claiming that the usual beeline of VIPs coming to Malaysia had come to a crawl and if Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak is unable to bring in a big name soon, he would be open to criticism that Malaysia’s international standing had fallen under his watch.
“This is a prime example of fake news. And that is not a matter of opinion – it is a fact, as I will show,” he added.
Salleh said apart from the widely observed practice of foreign leaders not making official visits to a country just before an election for fear of being seen to interfere in the country’s internal democratic process, the Malaysian government has actually declined foreign visits for that reason.
Malaysia’s newly self-appointed ‘Truth Czar’, Salleh Keruak, has decreed that SCMP has committed a ‘Fake News’ violation, by suggesting that foreign leaders are not sufficiently admiring of Malaysia’s Dear Leader (Najib).
The paper suggested that potential high level visitors have been shunning Malaysia, whereas Salleh has now truthfully clarified that in fact Najib has been turning them away, since he would not wish to unfairly boost his own election chances [pause for laughter].
So, will this matter become the first prosecution under the ‘Fake News’ legislation so fresh from the parliamentary stamping shop? After a day’s debate and with PAS so eagerly agreeing with its UMNO friends, the law is now in place.
The SCMP report may have just got under the wire on timing, but in Malaysia you never know.
Maybe criminal charges and an extradition request is already winging its way to the Hong Kong police, naming the offending journalist? Perhaps, the SCMP will now be banned in Malaysia and join Sarawak Report as blocked online?
Malaysians can look forward to relying further on their own truthful government propaganda, produced by Salleh at the Ministry of Truth, in order to better understand the facts and the world around them.
And PAS will remind the faithful to remember to thank Najib in their prayers.
SRC International Sdn Bhd says the RM4 billion borrowed from the Retirement Fund (KWAP) is accounted for in its balance sheet, in accordance with the standard accounting and governance practices.
“None of it was misappropriated as claimed by those with malicious intent,” it said in a statement rebutting a media report that claimed that the funds had been misappropriated.
“We strongly reject these allegations. Having conducted an internal investigation, we believe these claims were based on documents that were fabricated, therefore representing a deliberate attempt to mislead the public.”
To recap, the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) is still investigating SRC over the RM4 billion fund. It had said recently that the case could be completed before the end of the year…..
In the interests of full disclosure, SRC is asking the Attorney-General’s Chambers to conduct a full investigation into these claims and the alleged charge sheet published by Sarawak Report, which is currently banned in Malaysia, and fund flows diagrams published by an online media.
“We ask that the parties responsible for these fabrications be identified, given that their authenticity was denied by the MACC on August 3.”
These false allegations represent a serious attack on SRC, which resulted in negative financial and reputational repercussions for its business, it said.
Perhaps the Attorney General will repeat his previous unsucessful attempts to persuade INTERPOL to issue a terror alert internation arrest red notice against Sarawak Report for having suggested that Najib stole this money from SRC?
It was, of course, the Attorney General who waved the offending money trails in front of snapping cameras as he exhibited the MACC investigation papers into SRC. The trails showed the money pouring into Najib’s own accounts at AmBank.
BSI Bank has closed down following Singapore court cases into SRC accounts amongst other 1MDB related scams and in November 2011 USD170 million wss funnelled out of SRC, through Julius Baer Hong Kong and then back into Najib’s private AmBank account in KL. The Swiss have referred also to the missing SRC billions.
It would help if SRC and its ducking and diving Chief Executive Nik Faisal Arif Kamil would produce an Annual Report of some kind, however it gave up on such formalities in 2012.
So, who is producing the Fake News over SRC, Najib and his hirelings or the rest of the world? Put another way, who has the motive to lie and who has been producing the facts?
Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak today launched the national level “Jimat Belanja Dapur” (Reducing grocery bills) programme implemented by the Federal Agricultural Marketing Authority.
He said the programme, which was similar to the “Jualan Sentuhan Rakyat” programme organised by the Domestic Trade, Cooperatives and Consumerism Ministry, benefited all strata of people nationwide by selling goods at cheaper prices compared to market prices.
“Under the JBD programme, there are 27 items sold with cheaper prices of between five and 20 percent compared to market prices, for example, cabbage that is normally sold at RM3.50 per kg in the market is sold at RM2, eggs per package of RM11 is sold at RM8.50 here.
“Even whole chicken is sold here for RM10, while the normal price is RM8 to RM9 per kg, we have many more items sold at cheap prices, and we hope more people get this benefit,” he said when launching the JBD programme in Pekan today.
Sarawak Report confirms that it is absolute FAKE NEWS to suggest that Najib Razak is going round markets offering cheap chickens because he is about to call an election. After all, that would be a clear admission that he thinks Malay voters are cheaply bought.
More seriously, he appears to think that Malaysia’s armed forces are even more easily hoodwinked. After all, the Prime Minister is about to force one of Malaysia’s bravest opposition leaders into jail for resisting an illegal attempt to make an Auditor General’s report an official secret.
The ‘secret’ released by Rafizi Ramli related to the Prime Minister/Finance Minister’s multi-million ringgit shennanigans to bail out 1MDB at the expense of the armed services pension fund. Owing to the scandalous scam, which Najib wanted kept quiet, army pensioners were receiving payments late.
Yet up pops the Prime Minister at an army function this week, together with top generals, to lecture the troops that they must vote BN back in again, out of ‘gratitude’ for what ‘the government’ has done for them (men who have offered their lives to protect that very same government in return for a promised pension, amongst other things).
So, it is surely also FAKE NEWS to suggest that solidiers are more than likely motivated to punish Mr Najb, rather than thank him with their precious votes!
Communications and Multimedia Minister Salleh Said Keruak has denied that the anti-fake news law is aimed at silencing debate on the 1MDB.
“But this is not true. There is nothing to stop anyone from debating or talking about 1MDB,” Salleh said in a blog posting this morning in response to critics.
However, he said, the issue is when a person spreads false information as “news” and “facts”.
“For example, we keep hearing ‘news’ that RM42 billion of 1MDB’s money has ‘disappeared’ into thin air when this has been officially explained and proven false.
“The bigger issue here is to deal with the irresponsible spread of such fake ‘news’ and ‘facts’, which applies to many other situations in our lives,” he added.
Salleh pointed out that when a lie is repeated many times, the people believe it to be the truth.
The Communications Minister himself has now confirmed what everyone has suspected, which is that the ‘Fake News’ bill is all about protecting Najib Razak over the 1MDB scandal and all his other corruptions. To silence the critics and cover-up.
The problem is that the world can see that it is all these cover-ups that are the Fake News, as Salleh’s claims and antics become all the more contradictory and ridiculous.
On this occasion he is claiming that ‘Fake News’ providers are saying that RM42 million “disappeared into thin air”. In fact, what people are saying is that the money was traced by MACC investigators from 1MDB’s subsidiary SRC into Najib’s bank account, where amongst other things it was used to pay for a very wasteful and ineffective anti-ageing treatment for his wife.
We know this, because the documents have been leaked and the details corroborated, including the cheque paid to the anti-ageing doctor in that particular case, which was confirmed by his alternative medicine association boss.
Not only that, Salleh’s own Attorney General waved the MACC papers that showed the same money trail in front of cameras at the very press conference Salleh is referring to when he says “this has been officially explained and proven false”.
As the facts pile up world-wide in this 1MDB investigation, amidst asset seizures, court rulings, jail sentences and all the rest. Salleh and Najib are left only bleating ‘Fake News, Fake News’.
It has become a very sad joke at the expense of the dignity of Malaysia.
The cost of retrieving the A$320,000 (approximately RM1 million) seized by Australian authorities was too prohibitive for Bukit Aman CID chief Wan Ahmad Najmuddin Mohd.
According to inspector-general of police Mohamad Fuzi Harun, Wan Ahmad does wish to retrieve the sum but could not afford to do so.
“He wants (the money back). That is his right. But to him, the procedure (involved)… will cost him a lot more money,” he told a press conference in Bukit Aman today..,,
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the Australian Federal Police alleged that the money channelled into Wan Ahmad’s bank account contained laundered money or proceeds of crime.
There was a large number of deposits in the bank account for about a month, with each deposit being under A$10,000 – the threshold which would have red-flagged the account.
Shame on this IGP for not immediately sacking the top cop who dares not step into an Australian witness box to explain how a million ringgit ended up being anonymously sneaked into his bank account.
Here is none other than the Head of CID, responsible for clearing up organised crime all over Malaysia, himself the subject of an enquiry about a huge sum of unnaccounted cash and he claims it would be ‘too expensive’ to claim it back.
What this cop can’t afford is to be forced to answer questions in front of a judge in court, so he would rather surrender the million ringgit after being caught red handed and hide back in KL.
Would he allow any of the fellons he caught red handed in this manner to get away with such a thing? Malaysians will be forgiven for now thinking maybe yes he would…. as long as they pay a large sum into an Australian bank account, no questions asked.
Unless this top cop steps forward and answers for this million ringgit bank account, Malaysians would also be forgiven for concluding that the worst criminals are those running the country and these top cops are now part of the crime syndicate in charge.
They ought to all be fired.
The United States Department of Justice (DoJ) has not shown any “tangible proof” that Malaysian businessman Low Taek Jho, also known as Jho Low, is the owner of a yacht seized in Indonesia, said Datuk Seri Dr Salleh Said Keruak.
“Until today, apart from bare allegations contained in the DoJ civil lawsuit, which has been put on hold since August last year, the DoJ has not shown any tangible proof that Low is the actual owner of the yacht or that it was purchased with funds from 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB).
“Furthermore, the DoJ has yet to prove any of its allegations in a court of law, despite nearly two years passing since its sensationalised press conference of July 2016,” said the Communications and Multimedia Minister in his blog Thursday (March 1).
He added that the Opposition, however, has taken the opportunity to “mislead” Malaysians by using “unverified and unproven” allegations about the yacht Equanimity which was seized in Bali by Indonesian authorities.
Silly Salleh clearly thinks Malaysians are stupid enough to believe this!
Why does he imagine that Jho Low has been jumping up and down and issuing statements complaining about the seizure – yelling like a screaming toddler at the confiscation of an illicit toy?
Would Jho Low have emerged from months of purdah to express outrage over “global over-reach” and the general unfairness of removing the boat, if it wasn’t his?
And, far from failing to prove the ownership and purchase, the DOJ have to the contrary detailed each and every payment made by Jho to purchase the vessel, tracing the money through the global banking system right back to 1MDB. It’s all in the court documents, if Salleh is up to reading them…. he is clearly banking on Malaysians not being able to!
There is one point where the minister may be right of course. The ultimate owner is clearly not Jho Low, but his ‘Big Boss’ – MO1 and the wife in charge…… or maybe the correct tense is WAS the owner, since it is now a seized asset.
Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak will hit the Johor campaign trail with a series of high profile visits to the northern region of the state tomorrow.
He will begin his tour by visiting the Pagoh constituency on Friday, the bastion of his former deputy Muhyiddin Yassin who has served seven terms as the Pagoh MP.
……It would also appear that the event will be a major show of force.
“Not only will 3,000 Felda Maokil settlers be there, there will also be 7,000 Pagoh BN activists and voters there as well,” he said.
It seems that Najib knows exactly how many enthusiastic ‘followers’ are going to turn up at his events tomorrow.
This is not just a prediction: his spokesmen confidently proclaim that 3,000 Felda settlers and 7,000 BN activists will be there!
Could this possibly be because the Prime Minister has long since bought and paid for these people to be there and arranged their transportation, picnics and matching T-shirts to be handed out?
One suspects that’s why BN know exactly how many will come, because that is what they have provided for!
In which case, how was this staged event funded? You can guess that as well – from money filched from the public pocket.
A group of European Union envoys met the chairman of Malaysia’s opposition alliance Pakatan Harapan (PH) Mahathir Mohamad on Thursday (Jan 25).
The two-hour meeting was held at the residence of the head of delegation of the EU to Malaysia Maria Castillo Fernández, according to the Facebook account of Abdul Kadir Jasin, a supreme council member of Tun Dr Mahathir’s political party.
Among the issues discussed were the Malaysian general election and developments surrounding the action taken by EU countries on the scandal involving state fund 1Malaysia Development Berhad, Datuk Abdul Kadir wrote.
Those present were 14 EU ambassadors and three charges d’affaires and several top opposition leaders from the four-party PH, he said.
The first thing that is sticks out of this photo of EU Ambassadors, brought together to meet the new leader of the opposition by the Head of the EU Delegation to Malaysia, is the scarcity of top women diplomats.
Never mind, these guys are clearly doing a good job of showing an even-handed approach towards Malaysia’s alternative political party (after all the opposition coalition got more of the popular vote at the last election than BN).
The discussion focussed on, amongst other things, 1MDB, which the EU has been forthright in condemning. The EU Parliament has also issued a statement of forthright condemnation against Najib’s crackdown on human rights as he has sought to silence critics of corruption.
However, the gender gap did not need to be as marked as it appears from this photo, because of course the UK High Commissioner is also a woman and Britain remains of this moment a member of the EU.
There was without doubt a diplomatic excuse provided for the absence of Vicky Treadell from this significant occasion and it would of course have had nothing to do with the fact that ‘Malaysia’s best friend’ in the Conservative Party, Lord Marland is a passionate supporter of Najib Razak and is currently now in a business relationship with the former Foreign Office Minister, the Conservative MP Hugo Swire. Both men attended Najib’s Trade Mission to London at the height of the 1MDB scandal in 2016.
The UK is now looking forward to a post-Brexit world and trying to do bilateral deals with governments like Malaysia. Yet, their Foreign and Commonwealth Office seems to be putting all its eggs in one basket as to who will be leading that government after the next election. The British Malaysia Society (representing business interests) has also made clear that its money is on Najib – attendees at a recent address given by Treadell to such groupings in London (before Mahathir’s election to the top opposition post) report she said that Najib was certain to win.
Clearly, Dr Mahathir’s old maxim of “Buy British Last” is not to be forgiven by the current political movers and shakers behind the men in Whitehall!
Yet, one assumes that such passive gestures as not turning up to meet the new opposition leader have not gone further into any form of active interventions in favour of the human rights abuser and kleptocrat so favoured by elements of British business?